Tuesday 25 August 2009

Hampshire Down Sheep at Bakewell Show

I went to Bakewell Show in August and eagerly rushed over to the sheep section. There weren't very many breeds represented. There were more texels than anything other breed, and sadly most of these had been sprayed to highlight their conformation. (Sadly from a spinners point of view that is). There were quite a few jacobs, and a few other breeds, but more excitingly - there was a pen of young Hampshire Downs. They were dressed in lovely little jackets to protect their fleece. I took down the contact details from the breeders information board above the pen. I really wish all of the breeders would put up their contact details.

It has taken me three weeks to pluck up the courage to call about the possibility of getting a few fleece from this flock for my C of A. I was so glad I called. The flock owner was a very kind and helpful lady who was easy to speak to and was pleased to hear from someone who was interested in the fleece. She has no fleeces from this years shearing - but I have left my contact details for next time. Hampshire Down are a particularly cute breed of sheep. I haven't spun a fleece from this breed before and I just hope that when I finally get my hands on a fleece - I am not disappointed and find it suitable for my C of A.